5 Days Congo Gorilla Safari & Nyiragongo Volcano Climbing Safari Trip
5 Days Congo Gorilla Safari & Nyiragongo Volcano Climbing Safari Trip – Overview
5 Days Congo Gorilla Safari & Nyiragongo Volcano Climbing Safari Trip starts from Kigali Rwanda and features scenic drive to Gisenyi Lake Kivu, two (2) days Nyiragongo volcano hike, Mountain Gorilla trekking in Virunga National Park and drive back to Kigali with an optional Gisozi genocide tour.
5 Days Congo Gorilla Safari & Nyiragongo Volcano Climbing Safari Trip – Highlights
- Day 1: Arrive in Rwanda Kigali & drive to Gisenyi – Lake Kivu for relaxation
- Day 2: Nyiragongo Hiking Adventure expedition
- Day 3: Descend from Nyiragongo Volcano & chill at the lodge
- Day 4: Mountain Gorilla trekking in Virunga National Park & drive to Gisenyi – Lake Kivu
- Day 5: Transfer back to Kigali & depart through Kigali International Airport. Make an optional tour to Gisozi genocide memorial
5 Days Congo Gorilla Safari & Nyiragongo Volcano Climbing Safari Trip – Detailed Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive in Rwanda Kigali & Drive to Gisenyi – Lake Kivu For Relaxation
Following your flight, you land at Kigali International Airport preferably not after 2pm to allow you drive 358km about 3.5hrs to Gisenyi Lake Kivu. The views of Rwandan hillsides, Virunga Volcanoes and Lake Kivu itself will make your evening worthwhile.
Accommodation: Luxury: Serena Resort Lake Kivu, Midrange: Hotel Paladise Malahide, Meal Plan: Full Board
Day 2: Nyiragongo Hiking Adventure Expedition
At 7:30am, you drive to the Congo border at Goma, go through the immigration formalities and meet our Congo representative for the transfer to Kibati Patrol Post where Nyiragongo Volcano hike starts from at 9am. This marks the historical trek to the world’s largest and most violent lava lake. The Nyiragongo trek lasts 4 – 6 hours to reach the summit enjoying the incredible views of the surroundings. The hike is not so strenuous and thus do not require specialized mountaineering equipment. Spend the evening relaxing at the summit waiting to view into the red lave lake after the dark.
Accommodation: Mountain Shelter, Meal Plan: Full Board
Day 3: Descend From Nyiragongo Volcano & Chill At The Lodge
Enjoy sun rise moments, photo shoots and breakfast and then descend down the volcano. Of course, the descend is relatively easier than trekking uphill and you are likely to reach the starting point between 11am – 1pm. Spend the afternoon relaxing at the lodge.
Accommodation: Midrange: Hotel Ihusi, Luxury: Mikeno Lodge, Meal Plan: Full Board
Day 4: Mountain Gorilla Trekking in Virunga National Park & Drive to Gisenyi – Lake Kivu
Briefing commences at 8am at the Bukima Park station and in the company of armed ranger guides, you traverse the slopes of Virunga Volcanoes in search of the critically endangered Mountain Gorillas. Virunga National Park is part of greater Virunga massif shared along with Rwanda and Uganda with 480 Mountain Gorillas. The gorilla trek lasts 2 – 8 hours inclusive of one hour of actual viewing, exploring them as they forage and socialize where you can take memorable photos as well. From the activity, cross back to Rwanda and spend the evening relaxing at the sandy beaches of Gisenyi – Lake Kivu.
Accommodation: Luxury / Upmarket: Serena Resort Lake Kivu, Midrange: Hotel Paladise Malahide, Meal Plan: Full Board
Day 5: Transfer Back to Kigali & Depart Through Kigali International Airport. Make An Optional Tour to Gisozi Genocide Memorial
Enjoy breakfast and later drive back to Kigali 358km about 3 hours’ drive. Depending on the flight time, you will be dropped off at the Airport for check in. Depending on the flight time, an optional tour to Kigali genocide memorial museum at Gisozi can be arranged.
End of The 5 Days Congo Gorilla Safari & Nyiragongo Volcano Climbing Safari Trip
- Gorilla Permit (for gorilla trekking safaris)
- Chimpanzee Permit (for chimpanzee trekking safaris)
- Full Board Accommodation on Safari
- Transportation in either 4X4 Safari Van or 4X4 Safari Land Cruiser all with Pop up roof & AC
- Professional English Speaking driver guide. Any other foreign language speaking guide can be arranged on request.
- Entrance fees to the tourist sites including Protected areas mentioned
- Activity fees of the tourist activities mentioned
- Bottled water while on safari
- Border crossing fees (for cross border safaris)
- General tips for the driver guide, site guides and service staff at the lodges
- Laundry Services
- Other Beverages / drinks of personal nature like Alcohol
- International Flights (Arranged on request)
- Domestic Flights (Arranged on request)
- Optional Activity fees
- Other extras not mentioned in the Itinerary
- Airport Transfer (Arranged on request)
- Accommodation in Kampala or Kigali unless it is part of the Itinerary (Arranged on request)